Tale of Two Shifters


Disappointment is the best way to describe my realizations after finally assembling the shifter linkage. Illustrated above left is what I was challenged to assemble and illustrated on the right is what the Bentley Manual indicates is correct for my car. The differences in the two shifters are subtle but significant. After completing this stage in my refurbishment, I am left with more questions than answers. Which leads me to the disappointment.
Seven years ago, I garaged this car with the intent of rebuilding and refurbishing all of the major mechanical systems. The car was beginning to show its age. One of those components I chose to rebuild is the 5sp manual transmission-code ATA. After 179,000 miles, the transmission was due to be refreshed. In addition, I opted to install a Quaife Limited Slip Differential (LSD) during the rebuild process. An LSD differs from the stock differential in that it sends engine torque to the wheel which possesses the most traction. This allows the car to apply horsepower to the wheel which is in contact with the road. This results in less wheel spin and better overall traction translating into faster track times.

Rebuilding a transmission is a job that requires a lot of specialty tools. And the installation of a Limited Slip Differential requires the removal of the original differential. A large milling machine is required to remove the large rivets which hold the stock differential in place.

I opted to have the transmission rebuilt and the new LSD installed at a local VW tuner shop near Inglewood California. They were highly recommended by many in the VW community and they were within driving distance. I called and arranged a time to drop off my transmission and the new differential. I loaded the transmission in my truck and dropped it off at the appointed time.

A week later, I was informed that the transmission rebuild was complete. I was charged the appropriate rebuild/installation costs and was charged an additional $100 for an ARP bolt kit necessary to install the Quaife LSD. I picked it up the next day.
The transmission wasn't quite as clean as I had expected based on the appearance of the
transmission I'd had rebuilt years before on my 1985 Golf. There were still some grease stains on the exterior of the casing. Most shops clean the parts thoroughly during a rebuild. But I thought nothing of it at the time. I was simply excited to have it back. Confirmation of the LSD installation is difficult considering the Differential is inside the casing. The only evidence is once the transmission is installed, it will require slightly less transmission fluid than one with a stock diff inside. The only other verification method would be to completely disassemble the transmission to see if the Quaife is indeed present. But that's not practical. This shop comes highly recommended.

So why reminisce of events that happened seven years ago? It was only this past year that I finally ended my procrastination and installed the rebuilt transmission. When I began to reassemble the shifter linkage, I became confused. I've encountered memory lapses before while reassembling various components. Seven years is a long time to remember such details. However, in this case, my confusion was justified. None of my fasteners and existing cables seemingly did not coincide with the shifter linkage on the transmission. To further complicate my confusion, the Bentley Manual did not resemble the shifter linkage that was in my transmission. As a cross reference, I examined two other G60 corrados which added to my frustration. They resembled the illustrations in the Bentley manual while the example in my car did not.

While further researching the matter, did I discover that the transmission I had received from the shop and installed in my car contained a shifter linkage found on Vr6 equipped SLCs. It is no wonder I could not reassemble the linkage because it was not the same linkage I supplied to the rebuilder when I originally dropped off my transmission to be rebuilt!
What is pictured on the left is the G60 linkage as it is illustrated in the Bentley Manual. On the right is the shifter linkage from an SLC. The SLC shifter has a plastic arm and a wider pivot axle. The shifter cable fasteners are also different. Pivot angles and fulcrum points are also different.
Once recognized, I thought about calling the shop. Seven years is a long time. No one at the shop would remember if I inquired. And I doubt I could retrieve my original transmission even if they were to address my concerns. What further causes me concern is that I was never informed that I could possibly receive another transmission. Or was I given someone else's rebuild and they received mine? Then the question arises--DO I HAVE A LIMITED SLIP DIFFERENTIAL IN THIS TRANSMISSION. The only way to verify would be to remove the transmission and completely disassemble it. Once realized--DISAPPOINTMENT

I checked the local directories and not surprisingly, I learned that the shop that did my work was no longer in business.

I was fortunate to have access to another G60 transmission and was able to retrieve the correct shifter linkage. I removed the supplied linkage and installed the correct unit. G60 and SLC transmissions are interchangeable. Both Corrados used ATA code transmissions however I believe gearing ratios between the G60 and the SLC are different. The SLC gears are taller. That may slow my acceleration times but will result in lower engine RPMs at freeway speeds. That may also improve my gas mileage.

After sitting in the garage for seven long years, I've decided to proceed onward and put my concerns behind me. Something I should have completed right away becomes a casualty of my seven years of procrastination. My only resolve would be to finish the car and enjoy driving it on the road.

So this past weekend, I filled the transmission with 2 liters of Mobil One Full Synthetic Transmission oil. The Bentley seems to indicate that the transmission with a stock differential will require approximately 2.0-2.1 liters of trans oil. So I'm hoping the the smaller amount of oil means the Quaife LSD is present inside this case. I'm thinking optimistically.

The shifter linkage is now installed and adjusted. This transmission is now complete and awaits only the assembly of the remainder of the drive train. The Endless Corrado G60 project marches onward.

Comments

Update: After reassembly, it became apparent that I could not engage reverse. Looking closer at the two shifter linkages, the length of the original shaft is amount 10mm longer than the VR6 shifter. So I had to return to the shifter linkage that originally came with the transmission. With that part reinstalled,I can now reach all five forward gears and reverse.
To improve shifter engagement, I replaced the flimsy plastic parts with a solid metal piece from GruvenParts. It really improved the shifter interface. A later post will follow.
On a second note: A fellow enthusiast informed me that there is a way to determine if an LSD is installed. Simply suspend the front end and spin one of the tires. If no LSD is present, the other wheel will spin in the opposite direction. If an LSD is present, the other tire will not spin or will spin in the same direction.
Alas--disappointment, my tire spins in the opposite direction. :(
Expensive lesson for sure.
Crazynorweegian said…
Les,
I was about to tell you that testing method that someone else informed you of already. I find it absolutely necessary to mark all of my parts for identification and photograph the serial numbers, as I have an obsessive and distinct distrust of all mechanics. Also, I do not know what hanky panky they did with your transmission, but if it is on your car, then it should be a G60 transmission. I believe the bell housings are different and so they must have put VR6 guts in your G60 housing, minus the quaife. You story will only make me more vigilant. I think I have said this before, but I love your site. I would have been lost a few times had it not been for some of your DIYs.
Crazynorweegian said…
Les, I forgot to mention. That test only works if the car is out of gear. While in gear, the differential behaves "normally." Good luck.