CA Smog test update

With the Endless Corrado project undergoing a thorough inspection and tune up, my mechanic has now found a few items that I need to address. 

Timing and testing have now been set and preliminary tests show that Endless Corrado Project passes the CO & O2 portions of the CA Smog test. 

However, the NOx portion still shows high even after the installation of the brand new OBD1 Catalytic Converter. This may be due to a few factors, however closer inspection and my mechanic told me that there are a couple of broken bolts on the exhaust manifold. I've never disassembled the head or the exhaust manifold. However, I'm not surprised. After so many miles, every VW I've inspected has cracked or broken exhaust manifolds--especially in the junction points. 

I've never suspected issues with the manifold and was surprised I had to replace the CAT. But I may have to also replace the manifold in order to meet stringent CA regulations. 

The "endless" is living up to its name. 

Comments

Three weeks later and the car is still being thoroughly examined. It still fails the CA smog test for NOx. The fact that CO and O2 are almost perfect leads us to believe the mechanicals of the motor are operating well within spec. My mechanic says he's never seen a car of this age and this mileage score so highly. The PG block has a reputation for being a stout motor and has been known to run reliably beyond 300k miles.
My mechanic is determined to find out why this anomaly is occurring. So he's gone through each and every sensor to test. He's examined each vacuum line and even checked the infamous 1 meter vacuum line to the ECU. ( I bought and measured that one myself using OEM vacuum line from the dealership)
What it comes down to is that it appears the new Techtonics CA specific Catalytic converter is reducing NOx but not enough to get this car to within legal limits. So we are going to have another catalytic converter made--More unexpected expense. It's frustrating the challenges posed by California's strict smog regulations. I'm convinced the state regulators are bent on eliminating older cars from the streets in favor of newer and supposedly "cleaner" automobiles. This car runs perfectly well for its year and age. But this is today and regulatory compliance is a different standard forcing 20 year old automobiles to comply with 2012 standards is a tall order.
However, It is reassuring to know that all of my work on Endless Corrado Project has turned out to be sound. He could find no fault in the mechanicals and this car will run reliably once its been certified.
Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said…
So, I went through this CA smog crap and I was too cheap to purchase a proper 50 state legal cat and the car sat for four months. two and a half years ago, the Rado was passing CA smog with ease. Recently CA has lowered the max NOX from 800ppm to just under 600ppm. My car was testing at 650 NOX.I finally ordered a Magnaflow CARB Pre-OBD2 direct fit cat for just over $200. Ten miles later, I was re-testing my car and not only did it pass, it fast passed. My CO and HC got a good amount lower but, my NOX dropped from 650 to just THREE ppm! You might want to check the CARB # on the Techtonics pipe it should be printed on the cat. A legitimate CARB OBD2 cat should have no issues passing the test.
Excellent, Your experience is inspiring. The Team at Techtonics went through the CA certification and can certify an OBD2 compliant catalytic converter. So I was surprised and disappointed when it didn't pass.

I'm hoping I get similar results with this other Catalytic Converter as you did with your Magnaflow.
Unknown said…
You get that thing passed yet?
Yes, it finally passed. But barely. I had to do some detuning and the timing was off--but it finally passed. Now I'm trying to fine tune it to regain some of the power that appears to have been lost in the process.