Motor mounts

This is another area where I diverge from the more popular thought.
The A2 platform motors were suspended at three points. The original mounts were rubber and often had holes molded into them for compliance. The mounts were sufficient for daily driving but were pushed to their extremes when performance driving was desired.

VW motors had a reputation for squishy motor mounts. This robs throttle responsiveness and oftentimes adversely affects shifting accuracy.

The original had a fluid filled front mount. There were two rear mounts, one on the passenger side and the other near the transaxle. Some have used polyurethane mounts while others opted for solid units. I found these to be harsh and transmitted engine vibrations into the passenger area. Personally, this wore me down especially in daily driving. The vibration in the hands and steering wheel reduces the driving pleasure. Call me old, but I like it when I stop at a stop light and my dashboard does not vibrate.

I prefer to install fresh new OEM motor mounts every 40k miles. I did opt to replace the fluid filled front mount with a solid rubber mount. However, I kept the originals in the rear.
This is one of those details that will contribute to that tight feeling of when the car was new.

Comments