Oil pump/pan


The PG motor is notorious for the oil pressure warnings. I believe this is a flaw in the sensor built into the dash cluster.

However, NEVER assume the cluster is at fault. So I opted to get a brand new Oil pump from Techtonics along with a cool looking Schrick Oil Pan from Autotech.

I also replaced the oil sensor on top of the oil filter. There were three ranges available for my year. So I took the old one into the dealership and got an exact replacement. I also installed a VDO oil pressure gauge in the dashboard to verify oil pressure. That audible alarm is frightening when it goes off. At least Ill know if its a false alarm.

The Oilpan comes with its own windage tray and there are molded channels in the oil pan so the pickup tube baffles which clip onto the stock oil pump are not necessary. It looks very cool and unfortunately, its not something that is seen very often. I don't believe this oil pan is available any longer. If it was, I'd get one for my 16V too.
Under hard cornering, the baffles are supposed to keep the oil near the pickup tube preventing oil starvation during high-G conditions. The windage tray prevents oil from sloshing up around the spinning crank arms which can result in parasitic power losses.
Let's hope this thing works as well as it looks.

Comments