Salvage Yard Discovery -Lightweight racing wheels

The early watercooled VWs were equipped with wheels using a 100x4 bolt pattern. I am an advocate for reducing automobile weight--especially unsprung weight. Some of the aftermarket VW wheels I've seen can be upwards of 25-40lbs each! Add another 10lbs for a wheel and you've got 40-50lbs of weight that has to be controlled by the suspension.

So whenever I encounter lightweight wheels in a 100x4 pattern, I have to take notice. My brother discovered these on an old BMW 2002 on one of his salvage yard runs. They are old three piece racing wheels from Epsilon which was a Japanese high performance wheel builder in the 70s-80s. They are no longer making automobile wheels so replacement parts are no longer. These wheels weigh a paltry 14lbs each. The fronts are 15"x 6.5" with zero offset while the rears are 15"x7". The offset is not correct for my Corrado and would require spacers and special bolts. I also wanted a slightly larger tire for this project.

So these will go on the GTi 16V project car that shares garage space with my current project Corrado. (My wife could create her own blog on that subject alone!)

These wheels will require some repair and refurbishment of the finish. But they are a delight to gaze upon. Very unique, very functional. Price paid--$40 set of four

Comments