Recreating Corrado Storm taillights


I often asked about this particular modification. I'm not too keen on the many aftermarket taillights but I've always wanted that singular appearance that is unique to the rare Corrado Storm. The rear of those English-only Corrados mimics the monotone appearance that was familiar on the back of Audi automobiles from that era.

I took the stock headlights and sanded them smooth by hand using 400 grit sandpaper. This removed any of the molding flash and lettering.

I then masked the reverse lights and the perimeter.

I used Testors Candy Apple red taillight paint which I purchased from a hobby shop and applied three coats. I waited until each layer dried (Sometimes waiting days) And lightly sanding in between coats. I kept applying coats until there was an smooth and uniform coloration on the lens.

Then I applied three coats of clear coat using the same method of application. This step will give the finish durability.

I waited a week then I color sanded them by hand using 1500 grit sand paper then finalizing with 2000 grit. I then hand polished using rubbing compound which brought out the brilliance. They ended up looking like they were brand new OEM parts.



$6 for the Testors paint
$4 for the can of clear coat
$4 for sand paper
Far less expensive than the aftermarket taillights and all of those guys with the InPro lights are asking me where I bought my tailights.

Comments

Herry Johnson said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.