Essential garage tool



Tool recommendation:
One of the most frequently used tools in my garage is the floor jack. The typical autoparts floor jack costs around $35 and I often had two or three. I had never had a good floor jack therefore had no point of reference in regards to what I was missing. I often spotted lightweight floor jacks at the track or in the high end tuning shops but dismissed them because of their pricetags. Some of these jacks can cost upwards of $200-500! For a cost conscious enthusiast like myself, it is hard to justify the expense. 
The challenges I encountered using the cheap autoparts store jacks is that the suspension on my performance cars is often low to the ground and therefore didn't provide enough clearance for the floor jack. I had to lift the car to insert the jack underneath! The arm movement was also too short for my lifted Jeep Cherokee. My miserly floor jacks were becoming inadequate for my humble garage. 
During use, the jacks required numerous strokes to sufficiently lift the car off the floor for simple tasks such as changing oil or replacing a tire. They often leaked so the weight of the car would slowly compress the jack making efforts under the car dangerous. And the final frustration is that the lowering valves are inconsistent and the car often drops abruptly when released which is a concern. For safety reasons, I prefer to carefully lower my vehicles but the abrupt drop is a concern. 
I could never afford the pricey aluminum floor jacks which are designed with all of the above concerns. 
Harbor Freight to the rescue! 
I found an aluminum lightweight floor jack with 3000lb capacity. More than enough for my purposes. It only requires 3-5 strokes to fully extend the lift. 
  • Aluminum racing jack lifts 3000 lbs. to a maximum height of 14-3/4"
  • Low-profile saddle with 3" minimum height, 360° rotating rubber pad
  • Made out of machined, high strength, aircraft aluminum billet material
  • 4-5/8" wide, single front roller wheel
  • Two piece knurled aluminum handle prevents slipping

Handle overall length: 35-1/2''; Overall dimensions: 19-3/4" L x 9-3/8" W x 8" H
Weight: 24.2 lbs.

I can easily take this to the track, it has a wide padded platform, and unlike the cheapy jacks I've owned, I can lift this one without straining myself.  
The best part is that it cost me less than $70. 
Good tools are essential for good craftsmanship. If you are an automobile enthusiast like myself, you need to get this jack!
www.harborfreight.com

Comments