Personalization - Footboard protection.

Custom footboard protectors were unthinkable during the 90s. Now they seem to be everywhere as an aftermarket accessory available for virtually every make and model. This type of a modification is totally an appearance enhancement and really serves no functional purpose other than to personalize one's vehicle.

My brother had a friend who once attempted to manufacture a door runner for the Corrado. They supplied me with a prototype which I was told was not manufactured properly. The font type used was apparently incorrect.
So I got them and applied them. I received no instructions with these items since they were prototypes. The original OEM runners were intended to protect the entry from scraps and scratches will entering and leaving the car.
Removing the old runners was as easy as pulling up on them and releasing the adhesive tape used to mount it at the factory. A lot of dirt builds up underneath the plastic runner. This is a good opportunity to clean that unseen area to prevent rust.

The new ones apply in the same fashion using double sided tape. Just peel and stick. They do look custom and really makes my corrado different than the other corrado owner's cars. And the font, it looks the same to me. I was never told if these ever made it to production. The market for Corrado specific aftermarket parts is miniscule and shrinking. So I highly doubt it.

Comments

phil said…
I bought something similar to these from the UK, made by a company called "Lockwood". They aren't identical to yours, but quite close. Oddly I never installed them due to the font being close to the Corrado badge but not -quite- right, which bothered the hell out of me. But then I am a font geek.

http://lkperformancestyling.co.uk/product.php?ctn=lockwooddoorsills&product=K61

http://lkperformancestyling.co.uk/images/catalogues/lockwooddoorsills/97_k61_sills_corrado.jpg

Great blog Les. The story of my G60 is oddly parallel to yours - same area, similar timeframes, similar situations. I was on the Corrado list way back as well, and I think we've actually met at a couple of events in the distant past.

Anyway, I'll definitely be checking back to see what you're doing with yours, and I'm newly inspired to put some of my own stuff up as well.
Please do post your progress. I get motivated to work on this car when others are doing the same.