The little things which slow me down

What has been most frustrating is my disorganization. When I first began disassembly many years ago, I organized all of the fasteners and small parts in plastic containers. I labelled each container for the section for which they belong. As I began reassembly years later, I discovered that this somehow was ineffective. Many of the small fasteners are still missing as I search through the containers. This defys logic but there it is......Each time I encounter a lost part, its another delay that has extended this project into years instead of weeks. 

In the past few months, I've opted to just purchase new replacement parts. For the sake of progress, this is one of those instances. I've lost several of the small bolts used to attach the driveshafts to the transmission flanges.  I've had these stored carefully on my workbench for years. I often remember encountering them and I've been careful NOT to discard them because they are necessary for completion of the project. 

These are usually very greasy and dirty and require a special driver to remove/install them. So it frustrates me to no end that when I finally decide to use them them, they are nowhere to be found. So off to Parts4vws.com once again. Mike Potter knew exactly what I needed and sent me the correct parts to attach one drive shaft. I somehow seemed to have kept the other set in my possession. Go figure......
Take a look at the attached drive shaft. It's as simple as that. This is the last time these bolts will be this clean. 

So a simple task of attaching driveshafts turned from 30 minute job into a 30 day endeavor. It's the little things that slow me down. 

I am determined to drive this car before summer's end. 

Comments