What little parts can do

What is this part? It's not easily recognizeable for even the most staunch VW enthusiast but it was enough to delay my project for several months. The front passenger side has been an enigma since purchasing this car. The previous owner had hit an object which caused a big dent on the front passenger fender. Unseen was the misalignment of the subpanels which dislocated an important mounting point for the front bumper. My brother found a straight replacement fender for me and I purchased the correct replacement submounts two years ago in anticipation of this repair. However, when the time came, I discovered that I had somehow misplaced the new part. It was nowhere to be found. So I reordered it! One of the risks of a long term project is the migratory nature of loose parts. This is my third experience of having to reorder parts. 
Having recieved the parts, its now possible to move forward on several fronts. I was able to install the straight front fender. With the old panel removed, I was able to manipulate the disfigured sheet metal to align the previously misaligned mounting points, and then install the new plastic mounts for the bumper. 
The replacement fender isn't perfect but it sure looks new. Paint was a perfect match!

One constant challenge when reinstalling the front bumper is the subframe bolts seems to strip the threads for the mounting holes. I've chased these threads in the subframe several times to make installation and removal easier.It only makes the effort marginally easier.  When outside of the car, the bolts are smooth and easily turned by hand. However, once in the car, they are virtually impossible to turn. I believe that because these are exposed to the elements, they do suffer from dirt contamination. 

I am now ready to wire the front end, reinstall the radiator/AC condensor and move forward. 
It's amazing how a few small parts can stall an entire project. 
Thanks to Mike Potter at Parts4VWs.com for sourcing these odd parts for me. These are items that I would not be able to acquire from the local autoparts store. And I dread having to go to the dealer to get them. 

The car is now beginning to look like a car. 

Comments