The Corrado gets a new set of shoes


The Corrado Database is an international registry of Corrados of which I am registered. One of the members commented last year that my choice of wheels did not appear 'correct' for the car. He suggested something more "Euro".

To me, tire and wheel selection is mostly cosmetic. Many of the tires and wheels are selected for their appearance rather than performance. However, wheels can dramatically change the handling, acceleration and braking characteristics of a car. This isn't important to many car enthusiasts but it is very crucual to the driving experience and safety. The combined mass of the Tire/Wheel combination contribute to "unsprung" weight which is the most important mass on the car. Tire and wheel combinations with less mass allow for better braking and faster acceleration. They also allow the suspension to operate more effectively. I did not want wheels which weighed more than 20lbs and I wasn't too pleased with the modifications
that were necessary to fit my ADR wheels. Many aftermarkets will accomodate different manufacturers therefore, different bolts, hubcentric rings, and studs complicate the setup and compromise balance--which is important at high speed.
But I must admit that appearance is also important to me.

So I was stoked when my brother offered to give me his set of MSW wheels. These are manufactured by OZ which makes Formula 1 wheels. More importantly, they make Audi wheels which are cousins to VWs. The MSWs my brother had were off his own G60 Corrado and they were in a 17"x8" size with the proper 37ET offset and the correct 4x100mm bolt pattern. What this means is that I no longer needed the special studs, bolts, and no more hubcentric ring.

These big tires weigh near the original OEM wheels so there was no detrimental addition to unsprung weight with the bigger wheels. But they also look very cool! That's important here in Car conscious Los Angeles where cars cost more than homes. But I don't have to compromise my unsprung weight and there is no clearance issues with the wheel wells and no more modifications to fit a set of wheels.

Thanks to my brother , these cost me nothing. Now that's a deal.

Comments