Salvage yard research


I revisited one of my favorite places, FAST auto salvage in Duarte California.

I use the salvage yard for several reasons, namely to find needed parts but also to refresh my memory on how the items were installed. My corrado project has been in some state of disassembly for seven years. Even with meticulous labeling and photocopying of the Bentley, I still forget what bolts go where.

Fortunately for me, FAST is only five miles from my home. Unlike most salvage yards, FAST is specific to VW/Audi water cooled cars. And it is one of the few salvage yards that contain parts for the increasingly rare Corrado. On this day there were four in the lot! (One still had a glader in it!)

I needed a few corrado specific parts namely the front spoiler bolts, the shifter linkage bolts, and the CO Potentiometer. That last item is Corrado G60 specific so I had to search carefully. After about an hour, I began to think I was out of luck. But at the last moment, I spot one in the rear trunk of one of the cars. I'd been such a long time customer of FAST that they gave them to me. The CO Potentiometer costs near $100 at the dealer. Equipped with these parts, I was able to button up the intake system, finish the front bumper installation, and finalize the shifter linkage on my transmission. All three of those sub-projects has been unfinished for at least the past year.

But that wasn't what made me excited about this particular trip. Inside one of the MKII golfs in the yard, I spot what appears to be a pair of extremely rare Recaro bucket seats. These seats were optional and made for the 92 GLi as an option. They are a direct bolt in to any A2 VW Chassis--Corrado and my Golf 16V.

Since the interior of the Corrado is black, I will likely install these into the Golf 16v. But I'm ecstatic I found a pair.

FAST Foreign Auto Salvage
767 Alpha St, Duarte CA 91010
(626)357-3361

Comments

These MKII seats are simply too tall for the Corrado. Those who've adapted these to the Corrado will modify the base to lower approximately 1.5". One corrado owner suggested simply lowering the pads in the seat. All good ideas.
I've opted to trade this pristine pair of MKII Recaros with my brother who has a pair of BMW Recaros with the generic base. Corrado Recaro bases are approximately $200 each. I would need to refresh the upholstery on the BMW seats since they do show their age. The plan is to have the seats refurbished and to add the Corrado Heated seat option. Watch for a future post.