Progress - Nearing Road Worthiness

It's been seven months since my last "Endless Corrado" posting. Despite being silent for so many months, much has occurred since the replacement of the fuel pump. I've since started the motor-- a milestone in the Endless Corrado project.  However, as with most tasks in the project--that milestone was not accomplished easily. Once proper fuel pressure was achieved, several weaknesses in the fuel system became readily apparent. Fuel leaks appeared all throughout the system and had to be addressed immediately. Once that was under control, proper fuel pressure has been achieved in the fuel rail feeding the injectors--a major relief knowing I wasn't going to set the house or the car on fire!

The next task was to validate that the ignition system was operational. After inspecting all of the associated electrical items in the ignition, I was ready to validate energizing at the spark plugs. Back in my high school days, my limited budget and naiveté compelled me to conduct these types of tests with a pair of insulated pliers and a good buddy behind the wheel. However, today I'm too old for this type of adventure and my friends are much too occupied with more serious matters than to be bothered toying with old cars. I opted instead to purchase a spark plug testor from the local Auto Supply. It's merely a small aligator clip with a connector for a spark plug.  To use this tool, remove one of the spark plugs, attach it to the testor, then use the aligator clip to clamp it to the engine block. I chose to attach it near the cylinder head so that I could visually validate spark from the drivers seat. Then simply crank the motor and watch for a spark at the end of the spark plug. I was pleased to discover a good clean spark. Replace the spark plug back into its proper place and move on to the final essential--Timing.

There are several ways to validate timing. On the Corrado, there are timing marks on the cam gear. There is a notch on the backside of the gear and if installed correctly (I make this notation because my workmanship is always suspect) will line up with the edge of the cylinder head where it meets the valve cover. If in doubt, one can always remove the number one spark plug and insert a long screwdriver into the hole to see if the piston is indeed at the top of its stroke. (I also took the time to remove the valve cover and visually verify that both intake and exhaust valves are indeed closed on the #1 cylinder.) Keep in mind, the piston will reach the top of its stroke twice with spark occurring every other cycle. So in order for this test to be valid, this test must coincide with one other condition. The distributor rotor must also be pointing to the number one spark plug wire. If (big "IF") I assembled everything correctly these will all be true. Finally, the mark on the flywheel has to be visible in the transmission bell housing hole. Refer to your Bentley manual to locate this site hole. It is on top of the transmission where it meets the engine block and it may have a plug cover that has to be removed to see the timing marks on the flywheel. Since I used an Autotech lightweight flywheel, the mark is not very discernable and is barely visible when compared to the stock Volkswagon flywheel.

In doing this I discovered my timing marks were 180 degrees out of sync so I had to manually turn the engine using a wrench on the crank pulley until the marks lined up once again. This placed the timing within acceptable limits and I was able to crank up the engine and start it first time!

Considering that the GLader is a fresh rebuild, Bahn Brenner recommends not gassing the engine but rather let it idle for 45 minutes before stepping on the gas. This allows oil to flow through the Glader and to properly lubricate all of the bearings and seals. Fortunately for me, the timing was so close to spec that the running motor idled without much issue and I was able to achieve a smooth 45 minutes which also allowed the engine to reach operating temperatures. I was pleased to see the thermostatically controlled fan operate properly. But I was disappointed to discover that numerous other systems were not operating including the gauges in the dashboard.

More on the issues which ensued. The Endless Corrado project is one major step closer to road worthiness.

Comments