G60 Badgeless Grille - Doing it yourself


The 1990-1992 G60 equipped Corrado had a unique grille. It had seven horizontal slats. Unlike the grille from the SLC, the G60 grille had mounting tabs that are in a different location. And it's alignment with the hood, front headlights, and the front bumper are slightly different when compared to the SLC versions. When mixed together, it become evident that the alignment of these pieces are not correct.

Like most 20 year old plastic items on this old car, my grille had cracked in several places and one of the tabs had broken off. I've looked for other replacements in salvage yards but every Corrado I've encountered suffered from the same signs of age and abuse. These plastic items cannot possibly withstand years of exposure to dirt, wind, and debris positioned at the most hostile end of an automobile. I'm sure all of them have suffered impact damage from bugs or collision. Finding an intact replacement from another Corrado was unlikely to happen.

As an alternative, I'd searched for replacement grilles in the aftermarket. I was not enthusiastic of the choices considering that all aftermarket items were styling changes to the original. Furthermore, in all cases, the grilles were made for the more common SLC. The G60 crowd would have to compromise and adapt to the SLC items--not an ideal choice. 

My own grille was showing its own age with several cracks and a broken tab. For the past several years, knowing that replacements were becoming more scarce, I handled my own grille carefully to prevent further damage to my already crumbling grille. 

Then one day, I was inspired while browsing through the SpoonFedTuning product line and noticed they had a G60 badgeless grille. Very much like the popular badgeless grille offered for the MKII brethren, this grille applied the minimalistic approach and simply eliminated the VW logo so commonly found in the center of each Volkswagen grille. Their design retained the seven horizontal slats of the original with no further embellishment.  And it looked great on the front of the G60 Corrado.

While examining the product photos on their website, I was reminded that years earlier, I had grafted original grilles together on another VW project. That project--for a MKI--utilized a custom grille I had fabricated for my 1981 VW Caddy. It was easy enough to achieve and required no special tools. So the thought occurred to me, why not emulate this with the existing Corrado grille? As luck would have it, I had two Corrado grilles in my possession. Both had broken tabs and both had shown signs of wear and tear. Upon closer examination, it became clear that utilizing materials from both grilles, I could graft together, one complete badgeless grille.

My chosen tools for te job
ABS glue purchased from my local home improvement store


To start this, I would need basic tools and ABS glue which can be obtained from a local hardware store for ~$4.00 

One grille would be sacrificed to supply the materials necessary to fix/finish the other grille.

To start, I chose the best of the two samples and began by cutting out the VW emblem. 
I used a  small plastics saw used for cutting PVC piping and a detail wood working saw to remove the VW emblem from the grille. I did not cut the entire grille, only slats 2 thru five. This would leave the top and the bottom slats intact. 
Once this section is removed, then I examined the other grille to identify a section to the left or right of the emblem. The section can then be cut out in a section similar in size to the center section cut out of the previous grille.  
Donor section cut out from the sacrifice grille. This should be the approximate size and shape as the center piece cut out from the other grille.

Once the donor section is removed the two can then be compared and the donor section test fitted into the empty space of the grille. 

To graft the piece into the grille, I cut small squares of material from the sacrifice grille. These would be glued into place to provide strength and bonding to the two pieces being joined together. It also helps to align the slats so that they are straight when completed. 
Bonding the grafted piece to the existing grille as viewed from the rear.
Then I used a X-acto blade to cut small squares of material to be grafted into the final grille. 



After allowing the glue to dry for 24 hours, I then used "Flexible bumper Repair & Patch" from Mar-Hyde. This is a two part plastic that is designed to repair plastic holes and tears in flexible bumpers. It comes in two tubes that are mixed and then applied similar to bondo. Within 20 minutes it would dry sufficiently that I could sand and smooth the surfaces. 

In addition, I needed to repair the grille. The tabs had broken off so I simply used a square section of the sacrifice grille and glued them into place. This will take some thought because this has to fit into the slot in the radiator support and has to clip into a slot to hold the grille in place.

Broken Tabs
My glued in tab. It's not quite as pretty as the original, but it does serve the purpose and allows me to clip the finished grille into place. 
In a few short hours, the grille is beginning to take shape. Already the absence of a badge dramatically changes the appearance of the front end. I then allowed it to once again dry overnight.


I found a flexible substance called "Plasti-Dip" which can be acquired from most home improvement stores. I found a can at Lowe's for $5.98. It is intended to be used as a coating on tools and other items that need to remain flexible. I've seen others use this on their front grilles to cover scratches and refresh the appearance. I'm told it stays black for a long time. I sprayed the surface and it made a nice flat texture which matches the original texture of the grille. Furthermore, it covered the patching I had done at the joints making the grafted part virtually undetectable. The part looks like it was molded this way originally. This should help other G60 owners who don't want to move into the SLC grilles. And this should help others repair an existing grille. For me, it was a way to save some cash and still get a customized appearance on the front end. I still have enough left over material from the sacrifice grille to do an additional grille. So my brother may get a badgeless grille later this month.
Click on the image to enlarge
Click on the image to enlarge

Comments