Fuel Injection repair/upgrade

One of the systems that I had not intended to repair was the fueling system. I had assumed it was functioning properly and needed no further attention. It was only after my brother had told me to replace the fuel pump did the thought occur to me. After all, the system worked fine when I retired it to my garage several years ago. My earlier post regarding the fuel pump put that assumption to rest. What worked when I last ran the car had literally dissolved over the years and was now a heap at the bottom of the fuel tank. If the fuel pump had deteriorated so drastically, what else in the fuel delivery system could also be aged beyond serviceability?

After reading the chronicles from a fellow blogger--Crazynorwegian--I decided to heed his advice and I examined my own fuel injection system more closely. I was surprised at the amount of deterioration in every aspect of the fuel delivery system. This portion of the Endless Corrado project is turning into a major rebuild of this entire system. Furthermore, Project Corrado seems to have a slightly off balance idle and I can perceive a slight miss when the engine begins to warm up to operating temperature. 

So I've gathered a number of replacement parts. Considering this car has over 179k miles, these items should be replaced.  While I am there, I can look at vacuum lines, electrical connections, wiring, and a host of other sub-systems that might need attention. 

So far i've collected new Nylon Injector seats, the Bahn Brenner billet aluminum fuel rail, the BBM Fuel Pressure Regulator mount, AN fittings for the new fuel line, and brand new Bosch Green Top Fuel Injectors. 

More on this in future posts. 

Comments