Refreshing the front end - Tie Rod Ends

With numerous simultaneous projects, I sometimes assume I've already done something only to discover I've overlooked some detail and realize there one more thing that needs attention. Thus far, I've refreshed virtually every component on the front end of the Endless Corrado Project. But the "endless" seems to permeate this project and the completion date seems to always remain in the distance. I think my assumption probably arose because of my experiences with my other project car. On Project Golf GL, I had replaced the Tie Rods along with the other front end items in parallel to the Endless Corrado. It was by accident that I noticed the tie rods on the corrado were aged and deteriorated.

So I opted to replace just the tie rod ends. The Corrado will be scheduled for a full alignment once everything is in place.  These pieces are inexpensive. But this tiny part has a lot to do with how precise the steering and goes a long way towards taught steering and positive feedback--for which the Corrado is known.

After years of use, the original ends were quite worn and had partially collapsed from two decades of wear.  The inner portion of the tie rod does not necessarily need replacement so I will leave them in place. However, the outer ends are what keeps the front wheels in line. They take the most abuse.

To seperate the Tie Rod from the wheel hub requires a pickle fork which I purchased from the local auto parts store.  The instructions are found in the Bentley. Be aware that there is a distinct left and right tie rod end. So pay attention to what comes out of the car and replace it with the correct replacement tie rod end.

Once this new part is in place, an alignment is mandatory.
The old collapsed Tie Rod end
Fresh new replacement tie rod end

Comments