The little things which slow me down - Again

Ever since I was able to start the motor on the Endless Corrado project, I've been chasing gremlins. Most of these little things need addressing and slowly I eliminate them as time and resources permit.

Once of those annoying problems was a small coolant leak which I noticed after the very first run of the engine. I saw a few drops of coolant on the garage floor. After each subsequent run of the engine, that puddle grew with each day. The problem was persistent and it could no longer be ignored.


Finding the source of the leak was a challenge. It appeared to come from nowhere. At first, I attempted to tighten the clamps which secured my expensive Samco coolant hoses above the spot where the leak was forming on the ground. Reaching into the tight confines of the corrado engine bay was a challenge. And I'm speculating on the actual source of the leak. Not only were my hands too big to fit into the cramped spaces, I could not get any tools where they needed to go to tighten or remove hoses and clamps. So I reluctantly removed one of the steel diagonal support bars which braces the lower end of the glader to the engine block. This gave me access to a couple of clamps but not everything. The effort was futile. Tightening the clamps improved nothing. The next time I started the motor, I found a substantial puddle underneath the car the following morning. 
 I recall when I first installed the Samco hoses, the "h" hose did not fit the water pipe. The inside diameter on the hose was too narrow. I forced it to work trimming out the inside of the Samco somewhat and then lubricating the water pipe. Even with that effort, it still required a lot of muscle and manipulation to get this hose wrapped around the water pipe. Too much effort in my opinion for a part such an expensive aftermarket part. Definitely something that likely wasn't tested thoroughly before being released for production.  I suspected this manipulation to the hose may have contributed to the leak problem in the end. I may have compromised the part.  To further complicate troubleshooting, there is a second hose fitting in the general area above where I suspect the leak was originating. So to be safe, I concluded that the water/oil cooler above the oil filter was at least partially at fault. This was no easy task to undertake as the cooler is buried deep within the engine bay surrounded by a lot of other engine components.

My reasoning has some validity because leaks from the oil cooler is not an uncommon problem for water cooled VWs. I ordered the replacement cooler. In doing this, I know I would have to discard the Samco hose and replace with the OEM "h" hose. This OEM replacement part was expensive at $54 -equivalent to the Samco! I then purchased a fresh new water/oil cooler with the O-ring for an additional $75. While searching for these parts, the thought occurred to me to eliminate the OEM oil cooler and install an external oil cooler. I have a complete system available on a concurrent project. Interesting thought, but I opted to simply stay with the stock configuration. In addition, I also purchased a replacement coolant overflow bottle at $12.

To reach the oil cooler required the removal of several items. I'm always reluctant to remove other components to gain access to parts needing repair.  But it is a necessary evil--especially in the tight confines of the Corrado engine bay, to create sufficient space to effectively replace the cooler.

In order to provide sufficient room to work, I removed the radiator fan assembly, the battery, the glader support bar, the lower water pipe, the alternator wire, and the oil filter.

Now that I could reach the hoses,  I loosened all of the clamps which were on very tight. To remove the stock Samco "h" hose, I wrapped a rope around the hose at the water pump end and then pulled the rope from the drivers side. Then I simply used a Xacto blade to cut a thin incision on the Samco where it attaches to the water pipe.
But that wasn't all. To achieve enough "elbow room" I had to detach the upper water pipe and the upper coolant hose which attaches to the front coolant flange. Once this is out, and with the oil filter removed, then I can get back underneath the car and remove the thin 22mm bolt that holds the oil cooler on the center pipe. Then the oil cooler will drop down. I believe this is the culprit of my leak. The flanges on the old oil cooler are seriously degraded. It wouldn't matter how well the hose or clamp were fitted, they could never achieve a sufficient seal to prevent the high pressures of the coolant system from escaping. I'm confident this was the source of my suffering. 

Furthermore, I can examine the Samco "h" hose that I removed. It is apparent where I thinned out the inside diameter of the hose. It does not appear this was the source of my leaks but I definitely lost confidence in its reliability. This part was compromised in order to make it fit. My amateurish mistake. 


New Oil Cooler and "h" hose installed. 
With the new oil cooler in place and hoses reinstalled, I am confident I've eliminated one more little task. I've flushed the system with fresh clean water and then I'll be refilling with Distilled water/coolant solution. 
As time, money, and resources permit, I'm slowly addressing each of the gremlins that have presented themselves since I've been able to start the motor in Project Corrado. Eventually I'll run out of gremlins to chase and I can move onward to smog certification, insurance, and registration. I am determined to get this car in roadworthy condition. It is amazing what little things can get in the way and prevent one from reaching that goal.

Comments