Resolving Intermittent Idle issues

The Endless Corrado Project is living up to its reputation. Ever since I started this project car several months ago, there have been unforeseen and additional unplanned repairs that have needed to take place.

Although the engine does run, when it warms up to operating temperatures, there is a noticeable miss or skip in what should be a smooth idle.

Diagnosing idle issues can be tricky. Especially when you consider the many changes and modifications that have been done to this car over the past few years.

Idle issues can be related to several culprits including vacuum leaks, electrical malfunction, fuel delivery, and even the ECU. I should not be surprised considering the age of the automobile. These sorts of issues should be expected with internals approaching 20+ years of age.

Previously I started to replace the fuel injectors and the fuel rail. What I exposed after removing the Fuel Rails and injectors are worn and neglected pieces that are hard to reach and difficult to visually inspect. So I'll have to address all of them if I am to eliminate the idle misfire that I have been experiencing.

Aging New Dimensions 8mm Spark Plug Wires
First I discovered the New Dimensions Silicon jacketed 8mm Spark Plug wires have worn. Another unplanned expense.
Worn insulator on Spark Plug Wire
Once the valve cover was off and the fuel rail removed, then I could examine the Fuel Injector wiring harness closely. It too had baked insulation which was crumbling off. These wires were going to need replacement or rewiring.

Fuel Injector wiring harness
I also found exposed copper on the Idle Stabilizer valve (ISV)wiring. 

Lastly, the various vacuum hoses in and around the intake manifold were all showing age. Much of the fabric woven around the hoses were frayed. The appearance of the vacuum lines virtually guarantee that I have leaks. All of these were in need of replacement if I am going to eliminate the idle issues. 


I'll have my work cut out for me. Some of these are very hard to reach in the cramped spaces of the Corrado engine bay. Reaching into these depths, I may have opened Pandora's box. However, I will feel much more confident in the reliability of the Corrado once all of these suspect pieces have been properly repaired or replaced. 

I'll be thoroughly checking all electrical wiring, replacing broken wires, checking for cross connects, and ensuring connectivity using Stabilant 22 which is an electrical contact enhancer and protectant. 

New vacuum lines will replace all of the old stock. I'll thoroughly clean the ISV. And I'll rewire the entire Fuel Injection wiring harness. 

If the idling issues remain after all these components have been replaced, then i'll have to dig deeper--possibly replacing the ISV. And if that does not resolve the issues, then I'll have to reluctantly return the ECU and the SNS Tuning chip back to stock configuration. 

The Endless Corrado project persists,  yet continues to march onward. 

Stay tuned. 



Comments