Approaching street worthiness

I've been working relentlessly on numerous issues that have kept the Endless Corrado Project sidelined. I'll detail how I tackled many of those gremlins in future posts considering that most other Corrado owners will likely experience the same gremlins due to the age of these cars.

But I'll take the time to announce that the Endless Corrado Project has reached a milestone. The corrado now sits at my mechanic's garage. He is performing a thorough inspection of my work to ensure I have not missed anything and set the car to spec in preparation for the CA Smog certification and registration.

Already he's discovered the rear brake proportioning valve spring has disconnected. He's discovered a leak in one of the lower Samco radiator hoses--disappointing considering how much work I've done in the past week on the radiator hoses. And lastly, he's discovered that my Techtonics Catalytic Converter no longer meets the stringent CA regulatory requirements for Smog.

I called Techtonics to talk about the specifics of the CA catalytic converter. They informed me that they've worked closely with California Air Resources Board to be able to build qualifying Cats for their California customers. They also supply all of the necessary documentation and certificates. So I placed an order for one which should arrive this friday. I'll then deliver it to my mechanic to have it installed.

Lastly, I'll need new tires and a four wheel alignment. Static tires will develop a flat spot at the stress point where the load weight of the car will stress the internal steel belts within the tire carcass. Once these internal steel chords are compromised, they are prone to fracture once they begin rotating and build to operational temperatures. The potential for failure is at speed where it is spectacular and dangerous. The tires simply disintegrate! Therefore, although the existing Yokohamas still have plenty of tred, I'd feel more comfortable with fresh tires.

So it was a nice surprise to find these on my doorstep when I returned home from work.
The endless corrado project is approaching street worthiness. 



Comments