Intermittent Idle issues - Spark Plug Wires

After dealing with vacuum leaks, I began inspecting for other possible culprits. Another common cause are shorts in the ignition system. Most vulnerable are the spark plug wires. Knowing that I've installed brand new distributor cap and rotor, the only remaining potential is in the plug wires.

In order to inspect the spark plug carefully I had to clean them. Installed on Endless Corrado were 8mm New Dimensions wires. They were now approximately ten years old but these shouldn't be an issue. Nevertheless, they needed to be inspected carefully.

All of the jackets were still intact with no loose connectors or exposed wire. However, the #4 wire had a worn insulator. This set is now compromised and suspect.


So I opted to replace with a full set. Despite the loss of these boutique wires, these large 8mm wires were a nice visual enhancement so it was with disappointment to rid myself of these.

I purchased an OEM replacement set from Parts4VWs in a 7mm diameter. I've read many article trying to legitimize performance enhancement with spark plug wires. None can prove there is any performance enhancement--however, I still like to look of the larger cables.

But alas--finances dictate more moderation to use OEM where it is sufficient. So for $69 I purchased a new set.

Replacement is simple and easy. This eliminates one more potential culprit in an effort to achieve a smooth running idle.


Not as sexy as the big red 8mm ND Plug wires but they'll do


Comments