Overkill wiring - Alternator wire

Stock wire on the left and the Autotech overkill
wire on the right. 
Years ago, I purchased an overkill alternator wire from Autotech. I had $20 bucks burning a hole in my pocket and thought I could try this out. Back then I thought it was a good idea.

Unfortunately, this item is no longer sold but I thought it was a worthwhile idea and worth revisiting. I recently made a visit to DRP Fasteners in Chatsworth California. They are a speed shop and there I saw the raw materials to fabricate my own overkill wire --similar to the one I purchased from Autotech. It would be easy enough to purchase the proper length of wire and the round end loops.

Constructing such a cable would simply be to solder the ends and then apply the proper shrink tubing to finish off the ends. If I were to do this again, i would  consider also using Tech-Flex as an external jacket for extra protection and for a professional finished appearance.
Over kill wire and Exciter wire mounted
to back of alternator



With the wiring harnesses in our cars approaching 20+ years in age, the copper will deteriorate and the internal resistance increases as the materials break down and corrode. So replacing any important wires such as these could only benefit.

This extra large wire can be used to supplement the existing OEM wire, or replace it. To replace the existing wire, one would have to extract the blue exciter wire from the jacket that holds both the OEM wire and the exciter. Both wires begin somewhere near the starter and end at the alternator.

I chose to clean up the wiring looms a bit and eliminated the OEM wire. Then I encased both the Overkill wire and the exciter wire into plastic wiring loom. It makes for a clean appearance.

With the larger gauge wire in place, I should expect to receive more efficient charging of my battery and sufficient power to all of the electrical components in my car.

And since its right up front in the Corrado engine bay, it communicates a distinct sense of purpose. This enhancement means business.

Comments