The bureacratic challenges of Registration

It has been some time since my last update to this endless project. So much has happened that I do not know where to begin. The effort to pass California's stringent smog emissions took weeks. Furthermore, many of the items that I had assumed would be functional began to make their presence known further complicating the emissions process.

After much time and expense, I can say I've reached the milestone of road worthiness.

In my last post, The Endless Corrado was dropped off at my mechanics for a final shakedown and to tune it. What I had not anticipated was how far I truly was from actually passing. As mentioned earlier, the OX and CO were within CA standards for clean operation but the NOX portion was above the accepted 600 ppm. During my last emissions test, the NOX standard was easily achieved with the bar set at 800ppm. But CA's evolving emissions standards lowered the threshold making it more of a challenge for this car to pass. After two Catalytic converters, resetting timing, restoration of the OEM ECU, replacement of the O2 sensor, and a host of other modifications, I was finally able to pass. Albeit, the car ran like crap afterwards--but it passed. The timing was so far retard, that I had trouble accelerating to freeway speeds just to get to the smog test station! The results would be passed electronically to the CA DMV where my prepaid registration was awaiting. Until then I was issued a temporary operational permit.

To pass the smog test was a huge step. I was thrilled that after so many years, the Corrado was now street legal. I waited several more weeks for the tags to arrive in the mail. That did not happen. I was now very near the of expiration date of my temporary permit and still no tags. I inquired with my local AAA office because I did not see my automobile's registration status on the CA DMV website. It was then I was told that I had to come into the office where I had paid my registration fees. Unlike the DMV's online registration, I had paid in cash at my local AAA office.

To my dismay, when I finally made my way into the office, I was informed that the fees I had paid were now within 30 days of expiration. They could not issue tags which would expire in less than a month. Unfortunately, AAA only deals with cash or check and as luck would have it, I had neither at the time. Looking back, I think I would have delayed paying the registration fee because I ended up paying for the privilege of a temporary permit for 60 days at the full price of an annual registration.

I returned the following week with the cash. I was issued a set of 2013 tags and a new registration. I found it amusing that the last valid registration was in 2003. The Endless Corrado project had taken ten years to reach this point!

I still have a number of tasks that have to be addressed. There are a lot of unexpected repairs that are recalling the "endless" namesake of this project. I've been driving the car on numerous short trips slowly increasing the distances until I've gained confidence in its reliability. i've recovered some of the power and torque lost while tuning for smog but with each tweak, it is slowly regaining that responsiveness that I remember so fondly of the PG motor. For now, the corrado is alive and well on public roads.

I will try to document the numerous tasks that I've had to overcome since my last post. The challenges I faced may help other corrado owners who may face the same challenges. With occasional forays onto Southern California roadways,  I am now nearing the recommended 500 mile break-in period. It is time to begin sport tuning the Endless Corrado project car.



Comments

phil said…
Congrats Les. Great to see. I'm at much the same point with mine - after years off the road, the car runs great. Unfortunately I don't have my tags yet as I was turned away from the smog station with a visual fail (for the BBM IC piping!) a couple of weeks ago. You got no questions about the fuel rail, I guess? The enforcement seems pretty inconsistent. I guess maybe it looks more "extreme" under my hood because I've relocated the battery and ditched the washer bottle, but it's annoying as I've been pretty obsessive about retaining the emissions controls.

I guess I'll do some more tidying up in my engine bay and then try my luck at a different station. Hopefully I'll be officially on the road by the time the Bonelli meet comes around again.
It does vary from station to station. I did return almost everything back to stock before finally passing. I do have the Samco hoses which did make more than one station nervous. Some won't pass it with Samcos.
I also had to change timing to make it pass which made the car run very crappy --but it passed.

What's concerning is that there are some mobile testing stations. Much like the drunk driving check points, they check cars for compliance with CA smog emissions.

Right now, I'm still in the break-in period for the first 500 miles. But so far I'm a bit disappointed with the performance. My memory has a different perspective on the car. It's not as responsive or as powerful as I once remembered. I did drive it up to Big Bear recently and found it anemic at altitude. I remember the supercharger negating the effects of altitude many years ago.

I have some fine tuning to do and I also need to repair the air conditioning. So I'm not driving it much this summer until that's done. Let me know how you fare with your smog check.
phil said…
Well.. I finally made it. I tidied up the wiring on the distribution block from the battery relocation, got yet another moving permit and tried my luck again. It got interesting when the smog tech asked if I had the CARB EO number for the supercharger. Not for the first time, I used the G-Lader page in the owner's manual as proof that it was factory-fitted. But that was the only problem. Once it was running, one of the smog guys stood behind the car with me and told me that he could tell it would pass from the exhaust smell. Ha. Overall they were great guys who were thorough in their tests, but took a lot of interest in the car and were complimentary about the cleanliness of the engine bay and the quality of the mods and the work, which was nice to hear.

Interestingly, they wanted to know where the charcoal canister was, and they did some kind of test related to that - a custom fuel cap with a tube attached to a machine. Never seen that before. So the common practice of pulling the canister would be a bad move for anyone who wanted to pass legit in CA.

Anyway, it passed, way within max for everything apart from HC, which is probably because it hasn't been run properly for a while. I was pretty pleased, as I didn't change anything, run any octane booster or whatever. As you pointed out in a different post, the acceptable NOx levels have been lowered since 2010, but it was okay. Guess I got lucky in the catalytic converter lottery. My hope is that as the car gets driven more, the deposits and crap will get burned off/blown out and it'll get back to the emissions levels I saw when it was tested in 2010.

Thanks for documenting your rebuild Les. Nice to see someone else on the same road. Looking forward to seeing what's next - I have to fix my A/C as well, my sunroof needs doing, and I suspect I have a clutch replacement coming up before long.