Another set back - Fender Rolling

 Back in 2013, my car had been sitting in the garage for awhile. I decided at that time that when it became roadworthy, I'd install a fresh set of tires. Tires that have been sitting weight loaded for extended periods of time can develop flat spots which can cause imbalance and sometimes tread separation when they once again rotate at freeway speeds. (This is a known issue with boat trailer tires) I didn't want to take the chance. 

So at the time I purchased four brand new Kuhmo ECSTA ASTs in a size 205/40R17. My previous tires were the very same Kuhmos from a previous generation which served me very well mounted to my Japanese Advanti wheels. But those wheels were a 17x7.5" wheel in a 40mm offset. Perfect fitment for my Corrado and did not require any spacers or fender rolling. No rubbing except when I turned the front wheels fully to the left/Right. 

During that timein 2013, My brother changed wheels and gave me his MSW 17x8 (OZ Super Turismo) wheels from his own Corrado G60. So I had the new Kuhmo tires mounted/balanced on the MSW wheels. 

Fast forward 8 years when I finally got this project rolling on the streets and my maiden voyage of 100 miles from the garage to the Corrado's new home in the mountains. 

To my dismay - I noticed the very next day that there were deep cuts in the sidewall of one of the rear tires. 



What a huge disappointment to realize that one of my low mileage (less than 500 miles!) tires was already ruined. 
It did not occur to me that this was even possible considering these tires are the very same brand and size tire as the tire previously installed. And the wheels came off another identical Corrado G60. 

Upon closer examination, I realized the obvious, I needed to roll the rear fenders. Ten years ago, this was a huge task and finding the proper tools was expensive and difficult to find. At one time, I'd had access to a fender rolling tool in one of the VW/Audi clubs that I'd frequent--however that club group no longer meets. So I started some online researching and discovered that these fender rolling tools are now readily available and cost less than renting one from a local autoparts store. Furthermore, there are numerous YouTube videos on how to properly perform the fender rolling procedure. 

So I went online and located a tool on Amazon that could be shipped to my mailing address.  I examined the reviews of the different brands and selected one based on its user ratings and price. I clicked the "Buy" button. 

Next was to find another replacement tire. These AST summer performance tires are now obsolete and have been replaced with a different model with an entirely different tread pattern design. Unfortunate considering the prospect of replacing with an entirely different tire and tread pattern as the other existing tires. Ideally, I would like to replace the back pair and retain the appearance and tread pattern of the entire set.  

After searching online for several hours, I found an existing pair of the AST tires at a tire dealership in New Jersey. It was their last remaining pair. However, they are slightly larger width in a 215/40R17 which is 1cm wider than the existing tires. Further reading in the discussion forums, I discovered some discussion threads that said the 215 is actually considered narrow fitment for an 8" wide rim. (215mm = 8.46" of tread width --just enough width but no shoulder protection from curb scraping) But there are already some pre-existing curb scratches on these previously owned rims.  Therefore-- I'm going to take the risk and buy the pair in a 215mm width. I won't be able to rotate the tires in the future since they will be 1cm wider than the tires currently on the front. But maybe the wider rear tire will accentuate it's appearance like some of the Porsche/BMW automobiles which typically have 1/2" tire on the rear. (Or maybe it's a big mistake Ill regret later) We shall see. 

First is to roll the fenders to prevent any further damage. The tool should arrive this week. Once done,  Then I'll have the rear tires installed. Will post an update on the outcome after this is completed and I've driven for a few miles. 
After talking to my brother last evening, he confirmed he too rolled his rear fenders on his G60 many years ago when he first took ownership of the car back in the 90s. So when he installed these wheels on his corrado, they were no problem. 

Hopefully this solves the issue. 




Comments