First snow for the Endless G60 Project Car

I thought the snows were done for the year. But I was once again wrong. We've experienced two major snow storms since relocating the Endless G60 project car up to it's new home in the mountains above Southern California. This area is known as the "Swiss Alps of SoCal" And that's not an exaggeration.  
I do not have a garage at this new house so the Corrado rests outside on my front driveway along side my other daily drivers.


I'd previously bought an All Weather Seal Skin car cover for my 1985 MKII GTi project car. Since that car is no longer in my stable of project cars, I repurposed the car cover to the Corrado. The MKII GTi and the Corrado are both virtually the same size right? My understanding is they both use the same chassis.
Regarding the "custom" Seal Skin car cover, this one is their top of the line model with 5 layers of fabric and is waterproof, snow proof, breathable and comes with a 10 year warranty. However, when I placed it on the Golf MK2, I was disappointed in it's less than custom fit. It was too big and dragged on the ground on all sides. I'd purchased better fitting generic hatchback covers from AutoZone. I attributed this dragging on the ground to the coil over suspension that drastically lowered the stance on the GTi  Now that the coer is on the Corrado, the cover drapes even more on the ground. The Corrado just doesn't have the roof height of the MKII GTi. But this cover isn't form fitted at all. And the lower stance of the Corrado just makes it even more obvious that it's not form fitted. 
As the winds blew in a recent storm, I discovered that the oversized material flayed in the winds. It often inflated the car cover like a parachute and revealed it's true size! This car cover when fully inflated is nearly double the size of my Project G60 corrado. Seriously oversized and does not even come close to a form fitted cover. I thought at first this was due to the Neuspeed springs and the lower stance of both cars but this cover really isn't fitted at all. It's more like a generic hatchback cover rather than a custom fitted car cover. I bet it would fit one of the newer taller profile SUVs like a late model Mazda CX3

I was also disappointed that within just a couple of months while stationed at my previous house, the cover atop the Golf MKII started to discolor in just the one summer that it spent in the Southern California sun. My previous cover from Beverly Hills Auto was also a 10 year multi-layer waterproof cover which baked and flaked in the blazing and brutal SoCal summer sun. It also discolored into a dark brown and eventually crumbled away in pieces. This new Seal Skin cover turned the same ugly brownish color in just one summer . Needless to say I was disappointed. But the fabric still remained intact albeit did harden slightly and became crunchy in feel -- but I observed no cracks or tears in the material. The soft inner liner still remained soft and pliable. 

Fast forward to today and with the Corrado underneath, the snow packed up high these past two storms. As I cleared the snow and dug out the Corrado, i noticed the snow was dirty brown. The discoloration on the car cover was starting to wash off in the melting snow. The brownish stain on the cover wasn't from sun burning or bleaching of the material, but was from the dirty pollutants and smoke that had settled on my MKII GTi while in the Los Angeles smog. We had two nearby forest fires near the San Gabriel Valley that summer. Today,  The melting snow was running all of the dirt, pollutants, and stains from the cover fabric. The white snow had melted into a brownish slush. It was awful but the cover is now clean. The fabric does remain intact even in the freezing temperatures and ice covered snow. (I just wish it fit better) So it is doing its job and protecting the finish on the Corrado. 

One note is a friend recommended is I take action to prevent forest creatures from forming shelters inside the covered project car. Every night after a snow, it's amazing how many foot prints I see in the fresh snow. Critters are everywhere during the early morning hours including coyotes, chipmunks, squirrels, raccoons, and bears. So I'll need to go and check and make sure no one is chewing on my newly rebuilt wiring harnesses or hoses. Here's an example underneath my truck. 

We are looking to buy another house in the near future. Wife promises me this next one will have a three car garage. Hopefully this is the last winter buried underneath the snow for the Endless G60 project car. 

Wherever this new home is located, I've already had two friends volunteer to drive the Corrado for me. 



Comments