Exhaust Hangers - Perpetual Replacement

While working underneath my car, I can't help but take note of other unrelated systems and find more items that need replacement. 

Roughly ten years ago, I had replaced all of the exhaust hangers. I have a Tectonics 2.25" exhaust with the Borla Muffler. 

While test driving my car, I'd noticed thumps and bumps while driving. Project cars always make noise and every detail leads to something else that needs attention. 

I never once suspected the noises would be the exhaust because I had faithfully replaced all of the exhaust hangers years ago and the car has been in storage ever since.

But while I was working on the rear suspension, I noticed that all five rubber hangers on the exhaust were cracked and broken. Aftermarket exhausts never seem to align quite as well as the stock OEM exhaust systems. So I have to assume the J-hooks stress the rubber hangers to the point of failure even if I don't drive the car around. Fortunately,  I just happen to have a fresh set of hangers in the parts bin and easily replaced them all.  BUT I still find it amusing that these hangers broke simply due to age. 

I ordered new reinforced hangers from BBM ($14.95 each!)- These reinforced units have chains inside to ensure they do not break loose again. But until they arrive, I just used a set of fresh OEM rubber hangers from my parts bin to stop the exhaust pipes from hanging loose underneath my car. 



Notice these broken hangers aren't even dirty. They're just old.

The project never ends. Someone much wiser than me once said "There's always something. "

Comments