Rear Bump Stops - age sets in!

 As this project makes the slow progression forward, some upgrades get installed but never see drive time for several years later. This is the case with my suspension upgrade which I did over ten years ago. 

On the back end, I replaced the rear shocks, springs, bushings etc. I did not replace the bump stops at the time because they still looked intact when I installed the new shocks and springs. That lazy assumption was a mistake. Amusing that the rear bump stops crumbled into powdered dust while in storage. That mistake means I have to once again disassemble the entire rear shock tower assembly to get to the bump stops. What a mess!


I cleaned up the remains of the old bump stops and installed new ones in their place. Some of the foam rubber was a greasy powder-like substance that was everywhere. I had to clean out every nook and cranny where this powder would fall.
The remaining suspension components such as the rubber bushings, dust shields, and all the other components still looked new. But I've learned that I should just replace everything while I work on systems. It just doesn't make sense to reuse old parts even if they look okay.

While underneath the car, I'm finding other items that need attention. So many things on this car do not age well --even when they are in storage in a warm garage! Maintenance schedules apparently still apply, even when not in use. 

The final rear suspension reassembled.


Comments