Seal Skin waterproof Car Cover - Disappointed

 


I bought this car cover about five years ago. I've bought several car covers over the years but this one was the most ill fitting cover I've ever purchased for the Corrado. Disappointing because this is the most expensive cover I've ever purchased.  It is literally 2X the size of my Car. I originally bought this for my MKII Golf 16V which is very similar in size to my Corrado. Most items are interchangeable between the Golf and the Corrado. I noticed right away that it did not fit either car very well. It draped on the ground unlike any other cover I've purchased in the past.

I bought this from Seal Skin Covers to replace one that had been on my car for several years. I bought that one from Beverly Hills Car Covers.  I bought this one from Seal Skin covers and was supposed to be the waterproof/snow proof 10 year cover for the VW MKII. This one lasted for about 3 summers in the SoCal summer sun and one Winter in the snow covered mountains of Lake Arrowhead. 

The biggest disappointment was the fit. It was so oversized which on windy days inflates to the size of a mid-sized SUV. It did not have the mirror pockets which I would anticipate from a low cost car cover. When the breeze blows, it inflates the cover which when inflated is twice the height of my car. The stance on Endless Corrado Project is lower than OEM but is only lowered approximately 1/2 inch. This cover is simply too big and drapes on the ground when fitted over the car. The picture on the website suggest these are form fitted but the cover is generic hatchback to accommodate a large number of modern hatchbacks which are larger than my hatchback from the 90s. Furthermore, there are no pockets for the side mirrors which is typical of lower end car covers. The roof mounted antenna of the Corrado also poses a problem for car cover manufacturers. 

Regarding longevity and durability, this cover lasted about 5 years and the once waterproof material has become thin and brittle. This seems to make it fragile when trying to position it into place. One has to make sure they don't pull too hard for feat it might tear the fabric.  The flannel liner is still intact and remains soft. This still has some paint saving characteristics.

My biggest frustration is that on windy days, this ill-fitting cover inflates like a balloon.. This is especially disappointing when wind is paired with rain or snow--which is common in the mountain communities. 
 I've tried tying down the cover underneath the car with cables. I've tied it down across the bottom and underneath the engine. But the parachute effect is too powerful to overcome in stormy weather when it's most needed. 

Last night we experienced the first real winter storm of 2021 here in the mountains. Throughout the night, I looked outside and the cover was still in place. However, to my disappointment, this is what I discovered this morning after the storm had passed through. I anticipate snow later in the day. So I made every attempt to ensure this was tightly covered to protect the Endless Corrado Project the night before. My effort was in vain. In the heavy rain and wind, the cover blew off once again. Furthermore, while inverted, it now captured pools of water inside the cover soaking the flannel liner. if I had not tied it down, the entire cover would have blown away and down the hill. With the cover now soaking wet, it is impossible to recover the car before it starts to snow later in the day. What water is on the car will soon turn to ice. What a disappointment!

Fortunately I taped up the broken sunroof to prevent water from entering. But the cowl underneath the windshield wipers collected water. The snow which had fallen during the early morning hours plugged the two drains underneath the windshield wipers. So the resulting rainfall collected in the cowl and then the dreaded pooling of water in the footwell of the passenger side. This ultimately froze so I discovered a solid block of ice which was my carpet. None of this would have happened if the cover had stayed in place.  
It's already too late to order a replacement cover before the next snowfall.

This was supposed to be a ten year car cover, but it only lasted five years. I'm not very pleased.
Water pooled inside the cover after it was blown off the car
 

This hatchback cover that I bought for the Golf/Corrado was simply too big for the Endless Corrado Project. I'm sure this was designed for modern hatchbacks which are larger than my 90s hatchback coupe.  Modern cars also have a higher profile and stance.

I have an alternate plan which may get The Endless Corrado project off the mountain for the winter. But if that plan doesn't work out, the Corrado will spend the winter buried underneath snow.












Update: So this morning, I started the engine on the Endless Project Corrado and warmed it up for 15 minutes. The purr of the engine gave me encouragement. I relented in my frustration and I decided I would recover this heap of car cover out from under a pile of snow where I had last left it. I would give it a second chance.  It will be warmer today and things will thaw for a few short days. I will check with my alternate plan to see if I can store this in another location. However, if that does not work out, I will then try to winterize this car before the next snowfall in a few days. Once that next snowfall drops, I do not anticipate getting this out from underneath a blanket of snow for the next 2-3 months. At this writing, I'm trying to also dry out the carpet and the rest of the interior.

So I took that heap of a car cover and I spread it out on the back yard where it will be exposed to sunlight for a couple of days. I am hoping that the inside flannel will defrost and dry out. Then I can make a second attempt at tying the cover down over the Endless Corrado Project for the winter. I will need to patch the hole where it had torn and I will need to tie the cover down on all four corners to ensure it does not fly away--AGAIN!

In the spring, I am hoping to relocate the Endless Corrado project to my other home in Texas where it will reside inside a warm garage.  Then I'll purchase a form fitting cloth cover for the Endless Corrado Project.


Comments

barbrojackee said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.