Tire/Wheel Fitment Challenges

The wheels previously installed on The endless Project G60 were Japanese-made Advanti Racing Power wheels in a size 17x7.5. I was really pleased with the setup. Mounted with 205/40-17 tires, these tires fit perfectly. No spacers or adapters were necessary as the size, profile, and offset were ideal for the Corrado. I accumulated over 40k miles on those tires/wheels without any fitment issues. 

However, all was not well. The look of those Japanese wheels didn't look "German" or "European"  This was often pointed out to me at club gatherings. I really liked these wheels but I have to assume from the responses that most did not feel the same way.

Then one day, my brother offered a set of Italian wheels from his own corrado G60 project. He was offering a set of MSW wheels (Genuine Italian OZ Super Leggeras) in a 17x8 with the VW 4x100 bolt pattern. (OZ Super Leggeras were the racing wheels fitted to the Audi Le Mans cars!)  

My assumption was that my brother's Corrado rode on these for several years and should be a direct fit--same as my Japanese wheels. My brother informed me they were 17x8. How could I refuse a free gift?

Little did I know --that extra 1/2 Inch was going to cause all kinds of fitment problems for the Endless Corrado Project car. 

I installed a brand new set of Kuhmo Ecsta 205/40-17 tires to the MSW wheels and drove them for about 200 miles. Other unrelated issues setback the project and that was when the Endless Corrado Project went back into the garage for another 10 years. 
 
Fast forward to 2020, and the Corrado is once again roadworthy. As I was breaking in the rebuilt motor on SoCal freeways, I observed thin slices of rubber and some tire damage on the sidewall of the rear tires. These low mileage tires were making contact with the fender lip. Disappointing. My brother said he had no fitment issues on his 1990 Corrado so I did not expect any difference of an experience.
 
Back in the day, fender rolling was a major project and required very expensive tools. But today the tool is readily available on Amazon or eBay. I bought a tool and rolled the fenders according to the instructions. I'd also watched a couple of YouTube videos to see how it was done. My aged original paint did not appreciate the metal molestation and I experienced some paint cracking and peeling. Another disappointment. 

I'd always resisted doing this type of modification for this very reason--- however, unless I bought another set of tires and wheels, fender rolling was going to be necessary.
 
I debated replacing the rear tires. I wasn't sure that the damage warranted replacement. These tires had very few miles on them. Furthermore, this specific model Kuhmo Ecsta was no longer in production. So if I purchased replacements, the tires in the rear would be different than the tires in the front. 

Root cause:
What I had discovered is that the bump stops on the rear shocks had deteriorated. When I had replaced the rear shocks and springs years earlier, the bump stops appeared to be in decent shape and did not require replacement at the time. However, that did not age well over 10 years in the garage and they had now disintegrated. There was no control over the wheel travel and over large bumps, the rear tires would make contact with the fender. Surprisingly at the most forward and lowest section of the fender arch. I would have never thought that was where it would make contact--but it did.

So I had to refresh the bumps stops and reassemble the rear shocks. With new bump stops, rolled fenders, and a rear aftermarket sway bar delete, I think I contained the wheel travel and regained control of the suspension travel within design specifications.

To my dismay, this did not completely eliminate any fitment issues. I discovered after reassembly that the rear tire was making contact with the bottom of the spring perch. The disappointments keep coming.

 Very discouraging to discover this latest development. With so much invested, I wanted to find the cheapest way to make these MSW wheels work. So I opted to get 1cm(10mm) wheel spacers. This would move the tires outward by 1cm away from the rear shock. I'm still concerned about the closer proximity to the fender wells. But so far it does not appear that will be an issue. 

To my surprise, the 57.1mm hubcentric center did not fit my Corrado. the specified hubcentric inside diameter should fit my 57.1mm diameter hub. The spacer disc created a small gap between the spacer and the disc brake rotor surface where the tires mounted. That gap made me somewhat concerned. However, once I torqued the wheels,  that effort effectively presses that spacer onto the hubcentric brake rotor.   It is difficult to install and position the disc, then install the wheel, then bolt the wheels to the car. I'd once had a wheel stud that I bought for the Audi project car. But the thread pitch on the Audi and the VW Corrado are different. 
The spacer kit I purchased also had the extended bolts which are necessary. However, now I cannot use my McGard wheel locks since they are standard length. So many compromises. 
And I'm fully aware that most tires and wheels are simply cosmetic improvements. The increased un-sprung weight, the fitment issues, and added rotational mass will adversely affect performance.  There is very little to be gained other than visual appearance.



I just gave away a set of six OEM Sebring Corrado wheels when I moved from the house in LA County. And I gave my Japanese Advanti wheels to a good friend who will likely install them on his MKII Scirocco. I hope I won't later regret giving those away.


They look more appropriate on this German car. I hope it's worth it.


Comments